Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Future heartbreakers...

I photographed a brother and sister yesterday who were adorable and are definitely going to be heart breakers down the road. Hopefully that is road is very long and far from now. In speaking with their Mom during the session, we discussed how fun and innocent this age is (2 and 4yrs) as I have children the same age. I was mentioning how part of me would like to keep them at this age for a while longer as I dread the thought of teenage rebellion, etc. But we can only love and nurture them the best way we know how and prepare them to be their own person. This is why I enjoy creating portraits of children, siblings interacting and families as a whole. I'm being entrusted to capture and record the emotional and physical bond between family members in a portrait.

These two children, Harrison and Hollis, were so well behaved and polite; it was a joy to see. I certainly understand that even though I'm photographing the kids in their own environment, I still am a stranger with equipment and lights flashing and potentially making things uncomfortable. Both Harrison and Hollis who is only 2.5 yrs old listened well and followed directions to a T. Sometimes I cannot get parents to follow directions, but that is another story... Regardless, this is so much more satisfying than the professional sports and advertising photography ever were. Documenting the relationships of a family really puts things into perspective for me.





No comments: